Monday, October 18, 2004

 

Prayer

Fr. Jim Tucker's sermon on prayer is well worth reading.

Thanks to the civilizing influence of my wife, we always say a prayer before family meals. It has become second nature, to the extent that I don't feel right eating a meal by myself in a cafeteria without giving thanks.

I once witnessed a touching scene in a fast food restaurant. I was bent over my food when I heard the clear voices of a man and his young daughter suddenly raised in song. They were singing their grace before eating. Bis orat qui cantat (he prays twice who sings).

On another occasion I was sitting in my cubicle at work very early one morning, when I was startled to hear a rich contralto voice. It was the security guard making her rounds, singing the hymn "King Jesus."



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?