Saturday, January 22, 2005

 

An Introduction to Greek

Heinrich Schliemann, Ilios: The City and Country of the Trojans (New York: Harper, 1880), p. 7:
Dissatisfied with his lot, the young man gave himself up to drink, which, however, had not made him forget his Homer; for on the evening that he entered the shop he recited to us about a hundred lines of the poet, observing the rhythmic cadence of the verses. Although I did not understand a syllable, the melodious sound of the words made a deep impression upon me, and I wept bitter tears over my unhappy fate. Three times over did I get him to repeat to me those divine verses, rewarding his trouble with three glasses of whiskey, which I bought with the few pence that made up my whole fortune. From that moment I never ceased to pray God that by His grace I might yet have the happiness of learning Greek.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?