Thursday, July 23, 2009

 

More Pills to Purge Melancholy

Thanks to Eric Thomson for drawing my attention to David Hume, A Treatise of Human Nature, Book I, Part IV, section VII:
I am confounded with all these questions, and begin to fancy myself in the most deplorable condition imaginable, inviron'd with the deepest darkness, and utterly depriv'd of the use of every member and faculty.

Most fortunately it happens, that since reason is incapable of dispelling these clouds, nature herself suffices to that purpose, and cures me of this philosophical melancholy and delirium, either by relaxing this bent of mind, or by some avocation, and lively impression of my senses, which obliterate all these chimeras. I dine, I play a game of backgammon, I converse, and am merry with my friends; and when after three or four hours' amusement, I wou'd return to these speculations, they appear so cold, and strain'd, and ridiculous, that I cannot find in my heart to enter into them any farther.
Some symptoms:Some palliatives:



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?