Friday, March 28, 2014

 

Night and Day

Thomas Campion (1567-1620), Two Books of Ayres, I.xvii, in English Madrigal Verse 1588-1632, ed. E.H. Fellowes, 2nd ed. (1929; rpt. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1950), pp. 333-334:
Come, cheerful day, part of my life, to me;
  For whilst thou view'st me with thy fading light,
Part of my life doth still depart with thee,
  And I still onward haste to my last night.
Time's fatal wings do ever forward fly,
So every day we live a day we die.

But, O ye nights, ordained for barren rest,
  How are my days deprived of life in you;
When heavy sleep my soul hath dispossessed
  By feigned death life sweetly to renew.
Part of my life in that you life deny;
So every day we live a day we die.
Related post: Sleep and Death.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?