Friday, September 19, 2014

 

Catholic Humanism

Thomas Mann, Doctor Faustus: The Life of the German Composer Adrian Leverkühn, as Told by a Friend, chapter II (words of the "friend," Serenus Zeitblom; tr. H.T. Lowe-Porter):
As for my Catholic origin, it did of course mould and influence my inner man. Yet that lifelong impress never resulted in any conflict with my humanistic attitude in general, my love of the "liberal arts" as one used to call them....For my part I feel very truly at home in that golden sphere where one called the Holy Virgin Jovis alma parens.
That is, "nourishing mother of Jupiter." In German:
Was nun meine katholische Herkunft angeht, so hat sie selbstverständlich meinen inneren Menschen gemodelt und beeinflußt, jedoch ohne daß sich aus dieser Lebenstönung je ein Widerspruch zu meiner humanistische Weltanschauung, meiner Liebe zu den ›besten Künsten und Wissenschaften‹, wie man einstmals sägte, ergeben hatte....Meinesteils fühle ich mich recht eigentlich in der goldenen Sphäre beheimatet, in der man die Heilige Jungfrau ›Jovis alma parens‹ nannte.
Related post: Christian Humanism.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?