Thursday, March 29, 2018

 

Love of Reading

Thomas Babington Macaulay, letter to his niece Margaret (September 15, 1842):
Thank you for your very pretty letter. I am always glad to make my little girl happy, and nothing pleases me so much as to see that she likes books. For when she is as old as I am she will find that they are better than all the tarts, and cakes, and toys, and plays, and sights in the world. If anybody would make me the greatest king that ever lived, with palaces, and gardens, and fine dinners, and wine, and coaches, and beautiful clothes, and hundreds of servants, on condition that I would not read books, I would not be a king. I would rather be a poor man in a garret with plenty of books than a king who did not love reading.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?